The Social Enterprise Symposium (SES) is just three weeks away! If you’re someone who likes to push the envelope, explore big ideas, and aim to create a better world, SES is definitely for you. Here are five reasons why the 7th Annual Social Enterprise Symposium is the place to be on Friday, February 27.
- Learn from an Industry Innovator [TOMS Shoes]. TOMS Shoes is an innovator in social enterprise. In 2006 they introduced the buy-one give-one business model, and have shown it can be an effective model for creating commercial and social value. Shira Shafir, Director of Social Innovation & Impact at TOMS Shoes, will keynote the Symposium where she will discuss TOMS journey toward success and the ways in which the TOMS model continues to evolve. Coupon codes will be provided to everyone who attends the keynote for discounts on TOMS products!
- Engage Impact All-Stars. Terracycle, Grameen Foundation, TOMS, the UnReasonable Institute. These are just some of the organizations who will share their unique insights and high-impact ideas. From our breakout sessions and workshops, to the “Afternoon Buzz”, SES is sure to impress with a lineup of individuals representing social entrepreneurship, corporate sustainability, microfinance and more.
- Explore Social and Environmental Change from a Range of Perspectives. Did you know that faculty and researchers from across campus are using their talents to create a better world? From Art to Agriculture, Business to Engineering, learn how UMD innovators are addressing the world’s toughest social and environmental challenges.
- “Invest” in Student Social Entrepreneurs. Aspiring student social entrepreneurs will showcase their ideas at the 2015 Social Enterprise Symposium “Do Good Showcase”. Stop by, wander around, and check out what these student innovators have to offer! Listen to a pitch, challenge them, ask questions, and when you’re ready, use your “Do Good Dollars” (distributed via program booklets) to “invest” in the Venture you find most promising. Ventures with the most “Do Good Dollars” will receive a matched award in real dollars, sponsored by the Do Good Challenge.
- Make New Connections. Have Fun! Want to get more involved in social impact initiatives, but not sure where to start? Our “Ask Me About” Networking Reception is the perfect opportunity to get to know the many student organizations and UMD initiatives focused on creating positives social and environmental change. Close-out the Social Enterprise Symposium with an hour of delicious desserts and exciting conversation!
Convinced Yet? Good! Register now for the 2015 Social Enterprise Symposium. See you there!