Hello World!

I’m a first year full time MBA at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland.  This blog will be a space for me to share a unique perspective of business school as a 40-year old career changer.  But before we get to the MBA, let me tell you a little bit about where I came from… 

“Maryland, My Maryland”

Both of my parents attended the University of Maryland and I grew up in Potomac, about twenty miles from College Park.  I was an accomplished student-athlete at Churchill High School and my goal was to leverage my soccer talent to gain admission to a top school that I would not have gotten into on grades alone.  That ended up being…

Harvard 

Harvard is considered one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the world, but in reality, it’s like most colleges.  I had some great classes, and some not great ones; inspiring professors and boring ones; brilliant, ambitious classmates and simple-minded, unmotivated ones.

For this reason, I strongly believe there is no one best college—only the best college for you.  Your time in college is about growth so you have to ask yourself, which university is going to meet your needs both academically and socially?  Which will most inspire your curiosity and lifelong learning?  Which will allow you to grow in a nurturing, stimulating environment that is right for you?  What might be right for some, is not right for others. 

In my next post I will share a little more about my college experience and how it launched me into a career that I never dreamed of…

Jason

I'm a first year MBA at the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of Business pursuing a career in strategic marketing and brand management.