My Start at the Robert H. Smith School-Anupa

Anupa Shah headshot
Smith Ambassdors 2017

Hello, this is Anupa Shah, a first-year Master of Finance candidate at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. I am originally from Ahmedabad, India. After high school, I have lived in many cities across India and the US for education or work, hence I call myself a global citizen. As a new member of the Admissions Ambassadors team for the Specialty MS Programs, I am thrilled to share a few of my first-hand experiences of living in College Park.  

Anupa Shah headshot

Anupa Shah
Master of Science in Finance

What would be a better point to start than orientation week?

I  arrived in College Park in mid-August this year, just one day before orientation. At orientation, in addition to receiving essential information about various campus resources, we were invited to participate in many fun events on and off campus.  I was able to interact with the larger Smith community (deans, faculty members, staff members and all of the specialty masters students), which helped me meet people outside of my program.  This week helped me start my time here on a positive note, as everyone I came across during orientation was extremely warm, welcoming and helpful, and I knew that this was only the beginning.

Orientation week has helped me in more ways than I knew initially. For example,  I am currently working with a group of students to participate in the CFA Research Challenge. Fortunately, our team has students with unique skill-sets from different programs such as the MS Information Systems, Master of Quantitative Finance, Master of Finance and the Plus One Program. Everyone has varied interests and ways of analyzing our subject company- potentially a valuable outlook to put together a research report. It has been quite a refreshing experience so far. We would not have been able to recruit people from such diverse backgrounds had we not met during orientation week and the career services workshops.  Our career coaches were there to guide us through the entire process.

Rudy's Cafe

Lastly, I would like to conclude by introducing you to Rudy’s Café. The food options here are okay, however, this place has been more than a café. I have been here every day, including most weekends, this past month. The employees are so nice and many times it is a place for enjoying a homemade meal; however, it is the designated point of interest for meetings.If you are on campus for a visit please check out Rudy’s cafe!  You will probably spend a lot of time here for a casual meal with a friend, group projects, TA meetings, GA meetings, even coffee meetings with your career coaches and mentors.

That’s all I have to say, for now! I wish you best of luck with your application process. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions, comments or concerns. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you on campus soon!