A Balancing Act-Melissa

Hi everyone! Let me start off by telling you a little bit about myself. My name is Melissa Delcid and I’m Salvadoran American. I completed my undergrad here at UMD and now I’m currently a first-year student in the Master of Science in Information Systems program.

Imagine it’s Homecoming weekend and you’re excited about going out with your friends and having fun but you have a midterm the upcoming week. You know you need to study but you also need a break to keep your sanity. That’s pretty much my life right now. I knew I had to compromise between what I wanted to do and what I needed to do and honestly, that’s the reality of being a student.

Melissa Delcid
Master of Science in Information Systems

During Homecoming weekend, there’s a UMD tradition on the McKeldin Mall, called Terp Carnival, with inflatables, games, a beer garden, and a fireworks show. Instead of indulging in every single homecoming and Halloween activity, I decided to do one thing before returning to the books.  I went to the Terp Carnival with my boyfriend. We played connect four and raced in an inflatable race track from start to finish won! It was nice to feel like a kid again without any responsibilities, running through the inflatable tunnels and playing games. It was a much-needed break and I’m glad I decided to do it.

So why am I telling you this? I think It’s important to have a healthy balance between being responsible and having “me” time. I am one of those students who revolves around work and forgets to take a break. I realized that taking breaks and stepping away from my work allowed me to come back more relaxed and with stronger ability to grasp school work concepts easier. Having fun and getting your work done is all about managing your time and that’s a valuable skill you learn in college. Not only did I have homecoming fun, I also did a lot of studying and felt prepared for my exam. Sounds like a good weekend to me, don’t you think?