Engaging with Employers-Christopher

I am Christopher Rolle and I am a first-year student in the Master of Science in Accounting program, specializing in financial accounting. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida and attended the University of Central Florida for my undergraduate degree. I sought a new experience for my graduate program, which led me to a new environment, culture, and climate at the University of Maryland.

Christopher Rolle headshot

Christopher Rolle
Master in Accounting

During the first few months of the Fall 2017 semester, everyday employers from different firms were located at the main entrance of the Robert H. Smith School of Business for about three hours.  It was convenient because the companies were stationed for several hours and students could stop by before or after class with ease, approach company employees, and make connections in a matter of minutes.These companies consisted of firms from the accounting, finance, and technology industries, just to name a few. For example, some of the companies that participated included, “Big 4” Accounting firms like Ernst & Young and KPMG, financial institutions such as Citigroup and Suntrust, and retail companies, such as Target and Aldi.

This was an opportunity for students to learn about the different types of companies they might want to work for in several different industries. It was also an opportunity to speak with individuals already in their respective careers and learn about their day-to-day, the types of practice that their companies offer, standard career progression, company culture, and possible job opportunities. The different companies oftentimes brought food and small gifts for interested students that spoke with their employers.

The Robert H. Smith School of Business offered informal networking opportunities for students over the course of my first two months. Each day provides opportunities to learn and make connections with prospective employers. This opportunity immediately stood out to me during my first semester as a graduate student at University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business. It showed me that the school goes above and beyond to place students in a position to succeed, which is arguably the best quality that a school can offer.