A hearty welcome to our newest PTMBA, OMBA, and EMBA students, and welcome back to our working professionals who have enjoyed a bit of a break over the summer months! As you delve into your studies this fall, we encourage you to take time to focus on your career development and keep your eyes open for the many career development opportunities within and outside of Smith.
This fall, OCS is very excited to debut our Be Fearless career curriculum and program calendar, which has been strategically designed to help you build your core MBA career content as efficiently as possible and offer opportunities to practice storytelling, networking, and interviewing techniques that are critical to your MBA advancement. This edition of the City Campus Connection will give you a sneak peek of some of Smith’s upcoming career development events, programs and opportunities as well as some development and networking opportunities beyond Smith. But first, let’s congratulate the many working professional students and alumni who have reported new positions and promotions over the summer months.
Best wishes for a great start to your new classes!
Please join us in congratulating the PTMBA, OMBA, and EMBA students and alumni who have recently secured new positions and promotions!
- Karen Reinhardt, EMBA ‘11, recently accepted the position of Vice President of Human Resources, for GHD, one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy, and natural resources, environment, property, buildings and transportation.
- Justin Allen, PTMBA ‘15, landed a Senior Business Strategist role at MITRE Corporation in McLean, VA.
- Deena Miers, OMBA ‘15,secured a Site Acquisition Specialist position at SAC Wireless in Chicago, IL.
- Mo Cheng, OMBA ‘16, accepted a Senior role at Ernst & Young in San Francisco, CA.
- Maurice Nick, PTMBA ‘16 & MS ‘16, secured a Supply Planning Manager at Stanley Black and Decker in Towson, MD.
- Andrew Roehl, PTMBA ‘16, is now a Business Process Consultant at Mindboard in Towson, MD.
- Zain Aijaz, PTMBA ‘17, landed a Relationship Manager position within PNCs Corporate and Institutional Banking Group.
- Nneka Igbokwe, OMBA ‘17, was hired to be a Project Manager at Microsoft in Washington, DC.
- Alex King, PTMBA ‘17, transitioned to a Business Process Consultant role at Mindboard in Towson, MD.
- Krista Klotter, PTMBA ‘17, secured a Manager role at Eagle Hill Consulting in Arlington, VA.
- Mathew Litcher, PTMBA ‘17, has become Assistant Vice President of Retail Lending for Aberdeen Proving Ground Federal Credit Union in Edgewood, MD.
- Erica Baumann Olsen, PTMBA ‘17, is now Purchasing Manager – Non Food at Lidl USA, in Arlington, VA.
- Ian Parker, PTMBA ‘17, was promoted from Construction Accountant to Property Manager at Atapco Properties, Inc. in Baltimore, MD. This was Ian’s second promotion while in the PTMBA program!
- Nicole Snyder, PTMBA ‘17, started a new job as Senior Technical Manager at Agency Chief in Washington, DC.
- Hema Sood, PTMBA ‘17, secured a Senior Associate position at Capital One in McLean, VA.
- Abraham Sunshine, PTMBA ‘17, is working as a Pricing Analyst Intern at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in Orlando, FL.
- Lucius Thompson, OMBA ‘17, secured a Project Management & Sr. Planning Operations Representative position at Leidos (Supporting FAA, NISC III) in Washington DC.
- Michael Zybrick, PTMBA ‘17, now works for Northrop Grumman as Portfolio Development Analyst 3 in Baltimore, MD.
- Stephanie Bo, PTMBA ‘18, secured a Program Analyst position at the Department of the U.S. Navy in Washington, DC.
- Abhijeet Jhala, PTMBA ‘18, was hired to be a Senior Cloud Strategy Architect at Microsoft in Reston, VA.
- J. Mulligan, PTMBA ‘18,is Senior Consultant, Government & Public Services at Ernst & Young LLP in McLean, VA.
- Samuel Ross, PTMBA ‘18, is now HRIS Analyst at American College of Radiology in Reston, VA.
- Max Hedgepeth, PTMBA ‘19, now serves as Junior Creative Strategist at ISL in Washington, DC.
Note to all PTMBA, OMBA, and EMBA Students & Alumni
We want to share and celebrate your successes on the job or in the job search! If you have just landed a new position, we want to hear about it! Please share your success story by writing to your career coach or OCS_PTMBA@rhsmith.umd.edu.
If you come across a project or employment opportunity in your workplace that may not be right for you, but might be good for another colleague, please let us know so we can share the news. Email OCSrecruiter@rhsmith.umd.edu.
Scheduling Coaching Appointments
To schedule an appointment with a career coach, simply visit www.HireSmith.net to reserve a convenient date and time. Evening hours and remote coaching options are available. If you would like to schedule a remote appointment, please indicate that in the notes section when you schedule your appointment and let us know how you would like to be contacted. If you experience any technical difficulties, please contact OCSservice@rhsmith.umd.edu.
Upcoming Career Development Programs, Events, and Opportunities
The times listed are EST.
Impact Careers Workshop
Thursday, September 28, 2017 | 12:00pm to 2:00pm | 1511 Van Munching Hall, College Park, MD
The Center for Social Value Creation (CSVC) is hosting a career workshop designed exclusively for MBAs seeking to learn about opportunities in the social impact space. The Impact Careers workshop will help students identify where they fit into the social impact space, understand how their existing skills and experiences transfer, and map out a potential pathway to reach their career goals. During the workshop, students will have the chance to share and receive feedback on their career plans through highly interactive exercises. To RSVP, click here.
OCS Be Fearless Career Curriculum – October Wednesday Webinars
Get your career development started on the right foot with the Be Fearless Wednesday Webinars that will begin next month. Each webinar will be offered at two separate times each day and will be recorded.
- OCS Be Fearless Webinar #1 – Self-Inventory
Wednesday, October 4, 2017 | 12:15pm to 1:15pm or 5:30pm to 6:15pm | Online!
- OCS Be Fearless Webinar #2 – Map the Market
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 | 12:15pm to 1:15pm or 5:30pm to 6:15pm | Online!
- OCS Be Fearless Webinar #3 – Structure Your Narrative
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 | 12:15pm to 1:15pm or 5:30pm to 6:15pm | Online!
Marketing & Finance Super Day – Save the Date!
Friday, October 27, 2017 | 11:00am to 3:30pm | DC campus
Marketing and Finance Super Day is a day full of learning, mock interviewing and networking with alumni and students across all MBA programs. Take advantage of this opportunity to connect across campuses and cohorts, and with seasoned Smith alumni in the areas of finance and marketing. Pre-registration is required. Stay tuned for registration on www.HireSmith.net.
Consulting & Analytics Super Day – Save the Date!
Friday, January 27, 2018 | DC Campus
If you have an interest in Consulting or Analytics, save the date for this capstone event!
Be Fearless Career Boot Camp – Save the Date!
Saturday, February 24, 2018 | College Park campus
2017 Prospanica DC and NBMBAA-DC Pre Conference and Expo – Power of Performance
Thursday, September 7, 2017 | 5:00pm to 8:00pm | Howard University, Washington, DC
This event is sponsored by Prospanica DC and the National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA) and will consist of professional development workshops, a mini career-fair, and a career clinic with mock interviews and resume critiques. The 2017 theme is “Power of Performance” because the chapter is committed to preparing its members and guests as they work to become successful professionals in a fast-changing and competitive workforce. For more information and to register, visit here.
Fees: Student Members – $5, Professional Members – $10, Non-Members, $20.
Mid-Atlantic Marketing Summit – The Future of Marketing
Friday, September 15, 2017 | 8:00am to 5:30pm | Baltimore, MDDo you have an interest in marketing? The Mid-Atlantic Marketing Summit brings together hundreds of marketing and communications executives throughout the region to discuss issues through a series of panels, keynotes, presentations, exhibits and networking. The summits are co-produced by Potomac Tech Wire, the region’s source for technology news; and Capitol Communicator, the region’s source for marketing and communications news. It features leaders from the top and emerging companies plus some of the best marketing and communications minds of the region. To view the agenda, visit http://mamsummit.com/agenda/ and to register, visit here. Fees: $269 for early bird registration