Finals week is upon all Smith MBAs and the light is at the end of first-year tunnel. The Smith Class of 2016 will be heading off in a few short weeks for internships around the country.
From Google and Amazon to Citi and Johnson & Johnson, Smith MBAs will be spending this summer at some of the top companies in the U.S. This summer, I’ll be at Vanguard in Philadelphia working in general management. In preparation for our internships, I put together a list of things to keep in mind:
- Remember to network. Yes, it is important that you do well on your summer assignments, but it is equally as important to build relationships and connections with your summer colleagues. The people you meet and the impression you leave may determine your future at the firm.
- Don’t forget your internship is an extended interview. You worked hard to land a top internship, but your work isn’t over yet. Each day of your internship is a mini interview, so remember to put your best foot forward. How you work, play and behave are all factored into whether or not you receive a full-time offer at the end of the summer.
- It’s a mutual interview, too. The company also wants to leave a positive impression, so spend time getting to know the firm’s culture and opportunities to determine if it is the right fit for you.
- Try and make a difference. The summer internship is a great opportunity to explore, but it is important that you make an impact at the company. You need to add value this summer.
- And get those suits dry cleaned. We wore our suits a lot this school year. Go get them cleaned and pressed and start your internship fresh!
I’m looking forward to hearing all of the great projects and experiences everyone had this summer when they return in the Fall. Good luck Class of 2016!