Why you should think about getting your MBA!

To get an MBA or not?

It’s somewhat funny to think that almost exactly a year ago, I signed up for my GMAT prep course and only 10 months ago that I was walking into a GMAT test center to take my first of two cracks at the GMAT exam. And now here I am, in fall of 2015, having just completed my very first week of my Full-Time MBA at Smith; and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

I will admit that I toyed with the idea of an MBA for many years. In fact, my parents pushed me for four years (to their credit) to go get it but I always countered with:

• I already have an undergraduate business degree (from the School of Business at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada)
  • I was so close to / just received that promotion at work and that was going to improve my life (in addition to why waste all that time and effort)

Of course hindsight is a perfect 20/20, and I am just glad that I had the support and encouragement to go ahead and get the exams done, as well as the applications and interviews out of the way.

Now, you might be wondering, how can he be so happy with his choice a mere one week into a two year long program (especially with all the work from day 1!)?

That is an entirely fair question but here are two things that I have already learned that validated my decision and if you are thinking of pursuing an MBA that you should think about as well:

• Community and People. Since early August I have spent a lot of time with a relatively small number of people (99 classmates), and each one is uniquely different and highly gifted. I have realized that these classmates will be my MBA experience (with a few classes thrown in for good measure). This will be the network that will carry me forward for the rest of my professional career (after all most jobs tend to come from your contacts in your network) and I look forward to learning from them over the next two years as they will help me to reach my potential.
  • Growing and Trying New Things. This MBA is allowing me to put myself out of my comfort zone and to try new things and new paths. For the next two years, I can invest in myself and do so in a manner that won’t have adverse effects on my persona/future opportunities. I think the most meaningful learning comes from failure, and while no one likes to fail all the time, if I do here, I know that I will have learned and gained something from the experience. When will you ever have an opportunity to be in a situation like this again?

Thanks for reading!

Alissa

Website & Social Media Manager