Improv!

As I have mentioned a few times in this blog, I think one of the best things about doing an MBA is the chance to try new things out. It is quite alright to admit that you might be a little bit afraid of a certain task or are not sure how others might react to an idea once they hear it. As it is often mentioned here, in our MBA we are actively encouraged to try new things and to be ok if we fail at them the first time we try. We won’t get “fired” or punished by our peers or teachers because we took a chance. I think this is one of the coolest things about an MBA. The ability to try something just because it pushed us out of our comfort zone.

Well to be honest, I had the pleasure of attending an Improv class last week and I found it really useful. As our wonderful coach suggested to us, 99% of our days are unscripted and unplanned. Unless you are about to give a business presentation on some topic for an entire day, odds are you have not planned for each little conversation or chit chat that might happen. So the question is how are you going to respond to the invariable “whatcha doing for lunch” type questions that will pop up? And shockingly, our Improv class helped us with a few different answers and more importantly, new ways to think about how to respond and in what manners… (e.g. “No, but”; “Yes, but” and “Yes, and”).

While I really enjoyed our class and am looking forward to expanding my skills in this area, once again, I think it is extremely important to point out that an MBA is a great place to come and think in new ways and to try NEW things. We (your classmates) won’t judge you if you fail. We will inspire you to keep trying, because thanks to you, we learned something too.

Thank you for reading!