Risks… Are they worth it?

Today, I had the opportunity of going to a risk workshop. One of the goals I had set for myself, prior to coming to school, was to take as many opportunities to learn and grow as possible over the next two years (as I have mentioned plenty of times in my blog posts).

One of the areas that I think I can be better in is managing my risk taking levels. Most people tend to be risk averse, though it should be mentioned that there are some hardy people who are indeed risk seekers, and for the most part I tend to lie a little to the left of the center of the spectrum. I think it is natural for us (general population as a whole) to be mostly risk averse and this is something that I have wanted to change personally, and what better time than in Business School.

So the workshop today seemed (for me at least) to be step one in the process. I will admit that I am intrigued by the idea that you can work on your risk aversion level (and heartily recommend to those who feel similarly to try to find a local program and work at it). I was impressed and engaged by what was discussed today and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how the next few lessons go. I think it is also important to realize that everyone will be more or less risk averse in similar situations. Compared to most people, I would say that I have little fear or anxiety about public speaking or performances. So this is not an area that I would focus my time on. However, one of the concepts we discussed today was rejection (in a career search) and how to mitigate and work around it. I definitely think this is an area that most of us could benefit from.

Thanks for reading!