Summer Internships & Back to School

Hi everyone! I thank you for stopping bye once again to read this blog about Life at Smith! It has been a few months since I last wrote and a lot has happened in my life in the meantime, but what a journey it has been.

First and foremost, I spent the summer interning at Verizon as a part of their MBA Marketing Leadership Development Program. I really enjoyed my time there and I am really grateful for the opportunity it provided me. One of the main reasons I decided to come back for my MBA was the opportunity to discover and explore new industries and roles. Having spent six plus years in the hospitality industry, I was really excited that I had a fresh new opportunity to spend my summer at one of the top technology companies in the country! Not only was I able to learn a new industry; the internship experience itself was hugely rewarding and satisfying. While I was working, I never really had an opportunity to look into a company from an outsider’s viewpoint because I was there day in and day out as a part of the fabric. This summer I was able to step back and question things to better understand how Verizon operated without any fear that I would receive backlash for asking the wrong questions at times. This was especially important to me given that I was coming from a different background and industry and I was hungry to learn. I urge you to see this as one of the great benefits of coming back to get your MBA. If there ever was a an industry or opportunity that you weren’t sure about, what better way to find out for yourself than to spend ten or twelve weeks working and learning about it firsthand? Rarely will you have this chance and I suggest that you seize it. (Alternatively, the internship can help your decide that you do love what you have been doing because as one of my friends discovered the grass isn’t always greener elsewhere, and they were happiest to return to their old company after a summer elsewhere!)

Secondly, the internship experience allowed me to put to practical use a lot of the skills I had learned in my first year. Often at school, there is a lot of knowledge gained but very few opportunities exist to put them to use right away and they do end up in a “toolbox”. While this is great, I do think it was important for me to see if I had actually learned how to use them rather than be able to pull them out for a homework assignment. In addition, I think even more importantly what I learned is what I still didn’t know or fully grasp and what I needed to focus on during my second year studies. Now I have a chance to really round myself out because I now know what I can do well and where I need improvement. Once again, rarely in life will you have this opportunity!

School is going great for me and I am really happy to be back. I am looking forward to learning so much this year and to reunite with my friends. Thank you for reading and I hope you continue to visit!