About the Bloggers – Winter & Spring 2017

To see the biographies of our bloggers from Spring 2016, click here.

stephanie-baylounyStephanie Baylouny Faculty-led program: Japan

Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie Baylouny and I am currently a sophomore Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering student. I will be travelling to Japan with the QUEST Honors Program, and I cannot be more excited! I love placing myself into unexpected situations, and the opportunity to go to Japan is one I never thought I would have. I can’t wait to try new foods, experience a brand new culture, and overall learn about life in a foreign country. I hope you enjoy reading of my experiences!

gabrielle-canGabriella Can Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hi everyone! My name is Gabriella Can and I’m currently a senior at the University of Maryland. I’m a double major in Information Systems and Government and Politics. I’ve been fortunate enough to study abroad in Barcelona in Spring 2016 but was looking for an opportunity to break out of my comfort zone and embrace new learning opportunities. I’m looking forward to challenging myself to grow as an individual and grow within our group as well!

MenProcessed with VSCO with f2 presetaza Fernando Faculty-led program: NYC, London, Brussels, Amsterdam

Hi everyone! My name is Menaza Fernando. I am a senior Accounting major at the Smith School of Business. This January, I will be doing the Accounting Study Abroad Program in London, Brussels, and Amsterdam. As I hope to participate in global client engagements once I start my career in public accounting, I believe this experience will allow me to gain a better understanding of various cultures, while also becoming acclimated with the business climate in each of these cities. Three different cities with three different kinds of experiences; follow me on my adventures here!

olivia-garciaOlivia Garcia Faculty-led program: South Africa

My name is Olivia Garcia, and this Winter, I’ve been granted the opportunity to study abroad in Capetown, South Africa. As a Sophomore, Business Management Major at the University Of Maryland,  and having studied abroad before I’m no stranger to exposing myself to new and challenging environments and situations, and cannot wait to see all that Cape Town has in store.  A long time interest of mine, this trip ,  pursues not only my personal interests but also my professional ones as we are set to explore social innovation and entrepreneurship, within the South African context. I cannot wait to experience a new physical, mental, and experiential journey, and hopefully through my posts, you will feel as though you’re enjoying  it right alongside me.

akshay-guthalAkshay Guthal Faculty-led program: Japan

Hi everyone! My name is Akshay and I am a sophomore Computer Science major in QUEST. I have always wanted to visit Japan, so once I heard about this opportunity, I immediately signed up for it. I am looking to learn true Japanese culture by trying as many new and unique experiences as possible. I cannot wait to start this adventure!

connor-handzoConnor Handzo Faculty-led program: NYC, London, Brussels, Amsterdam

Hi everyone! My name is Connor Handzo and I am a History and Accounting double major. Every one of my siblings (three) has studied abroad and so I have wanted to do so for a very long time. My chance finally came, and I could not be more excited. I will be going to New York City, London, Brussels and Amsterdam, in that order, on my short term, winter study abroad program. It will be a lot of work, but I am not going to let that get me down. It is an accounting specific program, so I cannot wait to learn from professionals around the world and get their perspective!

anna-leeAnna Lee Faculty-led program: South Africa

My name is Anna Lee and I am a sophomore business major in the Smith school intending on studying Marketing and possibly double majoring in another focus. Studying abroad has been in the cards for me for a while because I’ve always loved traveling and experiencing new cultures and places. I’m still not entirely sure as to what I want to pursue as a career but I’ve always been interested in entrepreneurship and the social entrepreneurship program in Cape Town seemed like a great opportunity to gain exposure to the subject. I can’t wait to find out what everyone who has been on this trip continually raves about and hope to give you all enriching experiences through this blog!

chyanne-naderChyanne Nader Faculty-led program: Germany & Italy

Hello everyone! My name is Chyanne and I am a junior majoring in Civil/Environmental Engineering with a minor in Sustainability, and I am a part of cohort 26 of the QUEST program. I cannot wait to study abroad this winter in Berlin, Germany and Venice, Italy, where we will be learning about energy, climate change, and options for a low-carbon economy. It will be my first time traveling outside of the country and I am so excited!

melissa-pisciottaMelissa Pisciotta Faculty-led program: Netherlands

Hi all! My name is Melissa Pisciotta and I am a junior studying Marketing and Operations Management. I took a trip to Europe my sophomore year in high school and ever since I’ve been craving to explore more places! I’m so excited that I get to discover things I didn’t know about Amsterdam and Maastricht, Netherlands, Paris, France, and Brussels, Belgium! For our program, we visit different school systems and I’m interested to learn more about the European education system and how it differs from ours! I’m so excited to share my Abroad experience with you!!

bethany-scheererBethany Scheerer Faculty-led program: NYC, London, Brussels, Amsterdam

Hello everyone! I’m Bethany and I am a sophomore accounting major with an additional minor in computer science. I have always been curious about study aboard and became interested after talking with other students, however it never seemed possible with my busy schedule. I am excited to be going on the NYC-Europe-DC short term accounting trip, because it gives me the opportunity to visit five major cities and directly relates to my area of study, while fitting in with my schedule. I will travel from New York to London, then Brussels and Amsterdam, finally ending in Washington DC. Follow the blog to join me in the journey!

doron-tadmorDoron Tadmor Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hi everyone! My name is Doron and I am a freshman double majoring in Finance and International Business and double minoring in Spanish and Technology Entrepreneurship. Traveling and Social Entrepreneurship have been passions of mine since I was a child, so I am super excited to be going to South Africa for the Winter Term, and I cannot wait to share all of my adventures with all of you.

Lila Lin
 Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hello everyone! My name is Lila and I am a sophomore Accounting and Finance double major at Smith. I am going to Seoul, South Korea through the Global Entrepreneurship Semester at Yonsei University where I will be studying and interning abroad. I always knew that I would travel abroad because I am passionate about diversity, culture and language. I will be in South Korea for 6 months, and I hope to share my experiences with all of you!

Jasmine Zhu Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hello! My name is Jasmine and I am a double major in Information Systems and Supply Chain Management at Smith. Ever since I’ve been a little kid, I have had a passion for traveling to new places. This upcoming spring, I am spending a semester abroad in the beautiful city of Milan, Italy! I have always wanted to explore Italy’s culture, and of course food, and cannot wait for all of my adventures! Stay tuned to learn about my experiences 🙂

Jessica Ting Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hello! My name is Jessica and I’m from Maryland, born and raised. I’m a junior studying marketing and information systems. I’ve been given the opportunity of a lifetime to study abroad in Madrid at IE University and traipse through Europe, and I’m so excited to share my adventures with you.

Patrick Russo Faculty-led           program: South Africa

Hey Everybody! I am a junior Marketing and Government and Politics Major studying at the Vienna University of Economics and Business. After two and a half years enjoying my time in College Park, I decided to study abroad to get out of my comfort zone and create new experiences for myself, and there is no better way to do that than through study abroad. During my time in Vienna, I hope to meet new friends and expand my knowledge of the many cultures, both in Vienna and throughout Europe.

Chaney Schultz Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hey guys! My name is Chaney and I am a sophomore Management major. I am studying at Bocconi in the gorgeous city of Milan during the Spring 2017 semester. I’ve wanted to study abroad for years and am so excited to finally get the opportunity! Can’t wait to share all about it with you all!

Madeline Dixon Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hej alla! (Hello, everyone!) My name is Madeline Dixon and I’m double majoring in Marketing and Psychology with a focus on Entrepreneurship. I will be studying in Lund, Sweden this semester. I am so excited to learn the language and culture of Sweden, as well as explore its interesting history. I hope that sharing those experiences with you will give you a better idea of what it’s like to study abroad and motivate you to get out and explore!

Brianna WilliamsBrianna Williams
 Faculty-led program: South Africa

Bonjour! My name is Brianna Williams and I am a junior Information Systems and Supply Chain Management double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. I’ve wanted to study abroad since high school and my dreams are finally coming true in the beautiful country of France. I’m super excited to push my limits and become comfortable with being uncomfortable. I’m here until the beginning of May, so I can’t wait to discover the food, sights, and experiences Europe has to offer. Stay tuned!

Matthew Gutterman Faculty-led program: South Africa

David Klotz Faculty-led program: South Africa

Hi! I’m David Klotz, a junior Marketing major and Spanish minor planning to graduate in May 2018. I will be studying the historic city Granada, Spain for the first 5 months of 2017. I cannot wait to share my perspective with you as I explore a vastly different culture.