Student Life at Smith- Linwei

Hello readers!!! I am so excited that you are reading my stories. My name is Linwei, and I am a proud Master of Finance Candidate at Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. 

Linwei Zhang

Linwei Zhang

Join me as I will tell you my exciting life stories here at Smith School!

When you are considering which business school to go, I bet you would like to know more about the community there. From these clues you want to imagine what your life will be like in the future. Let me start with our extraordinary student associations. I set myself a goal at the beginning of my graduate student life, which is getting involved in Smith community as much as I can. I joined Smith Master Student Association. In the past ten weeks, I went kayaking with my fellow friends from SMSA as a part of team building. I coordinated with 8 students in organizing a visit to Terp Farm. Smith Master Students enjoyed live performance, pumpkin decoration and farm tour there.

Did I mention this week we celebrated Diwali Night? The Smith community got together enjoy this traditional Indian festival, having awesome Indian food and desert, dancing and finding a best dress girl (in Saree). Although I was kept busy buying materials, contacting operation office and assisting rehearsal, I felt a sense of content and belonging.

SMSA Diwali Night

SMSA Diwali Night

Now I would like to tell you more about life as a student of University of Maryland. I enrolled a storytelling course instructed by Stephanie Garibaldi, who is an amazing and popular story teller in DC. It has been a great fun to get together with people from all ages and all background every Thursday night. We share our life stories and more importantly, try to tell them in an attractive way. I practice English conversation with group mates from ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Conversation Program. Our volunteer Niko picks an inspiring topic each week and everyone delivers his or her insight. It is always an appealing thing for me to communicate with people from different culture.

I guess that is why I choose to study in UMD, to meet more people and explore a bigger world! 

2 Responses

1. Gyau Frimpong Kwaku says:

I can imagine how it would be to be part of this special institution to experience all the student life