Double-Terp Experience! -Melissa

Hi everyone! Let me start off by telling you a little bit about myself. My name is Melissa Delcid and I’m Salvadoran American. I completed my undergrad here at the University of Maryland and now I’m getting ready to graduate with my Master of Science in Information Systems.

Over the course of the program,  I’ve taken a lot of different classes that I have enjoyed (and some that were a struggle!) but there’s always that one course that I tell people they should take before they graduate. This course for me is Google Analytics. Not only does the course material give you an opportunity to learn about different Google platforms, it also allows you to interact with a real-world client; something, not all courses allow you to do. A part of the course, my team and I found this awesome client, Harper Macaw, a company that produces their own Brazilian chocolate at their chocolate factory in Northeast DC.

I’m not saying this because I’m biased and supporting my client, but their chocolate is fantastic and it’s only 20 minutes away from our College Park campus, so you better go and get it. During our work on the project, we decided we needed to meet our client face-to-face after several weeks of calls and emails. The CEO was kind enough to give us a personal tour of the chocolate factory and a small chocolate tasting. It was very interesting to see the entire “bean-to-bar” process and to engage with the CEO and some of the different employees there.

So why am I telling you this?  My experience in the MSIS program has taught me that it’s crucial you take in everything a course has to offer. When you are a student, you’re like a sponge absorbing all the knowledge given to you. It is important that you take all these experiences and make the most of them. You never know when an opportunity can arise from simply being present in the moment and being engaged with those around you. It’s all worth it in the end, and if you can get a little chocolate in the process, why not?! (That’s what I did).