Smith Careers!- Hayley

Hello! My name is Hayley Smith and I am a first-year student in the Masters of Accounting program in the public accounting track. I have the pleasure of being President of GSAA (Graduate Student Accounting Association) where we host events for accounting students.

Most recently we hosted a career panel along with two other clubs. The panel featured five alumni, with three being in accounting jobs, one in finance, and another in information systems. The focus of the panel was how an international student could acquire a job in the United States, but also covered information on specific careers and networking skills. To begin the panel, we got the chance to Skype with an alumna who works for Paypal in California! It was great hearing how she found a job across the country and with such a prestigious company. After that, our audience was given the opportunity to ask any questions they had for the alumni in attendance and network with them after the panel discussion.

In addition to networking with alumni, we also got the chance to interact with fellow students. I personally enjoyed meeting students from other majors or students that are not in my classes. It was great to hear about their experiences job hunting and to add them to my network at the Smith School. As always, there was plenty of pizza, insomnia cookies, and refreshments for all the students before the panel began. Students also had the option to play a variety of board games during free time.

This event is just one of many exciting networking events that are held in the Smith School. From the beginning of the year until now I have made many new friends and connections that could be very valuable as I continue on in my career!