Exploring the greater DMV-Christopher

My name is Christopher Rolle and I am a second-year student in the Master of Science in Accounting program, specializing in financial accounting. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida and attended the University of Central Florida for my undergraduate degree. I sought a new experience for my graduate program, which led me to a new environment, culture, and climate at the University of Maryland.

With the constant workload of homework assignments, papers, group projects, and preparing for tests, I needed to establish some balance in my life by finding things to do outside of Van Munching Hall. This put me on a search to find fun and interesting things to do after class or on the weekends to get an escape from school and maintain my sanity. To my surprise, I discovered several exciting things to do in the new area I’d be living in for the next year and a half.

The National Harbor turned out to be one of my favorite places to visit, and it is only about 30 minutes from the University of Maryland. The Harbor is home to several shops and restaurants, live music performances, a Ferris wheel, and ships that take you out on the water. There is even a shuttle that takes visitors to and from the Tanger Outlets. I’d definitely recommend spending a Saturday or Sunday out at National Harbor and enjoying all there is to do.

Next, just a metro ride away is the District of Columbia. Also known as “DC”, it is home to several of the most historic monuments and museums in the country. Spending a weekend checking out all of that is definitely a must during your time here. After classes you and your classmates may want to go to happy hour to wind down after a long day or week- there are some University of Maryland favorites down the road from campus. For example, located near Baltimore Avenue and Knox Road, are Terrapins Turf, Bentley’s, and Cornerstone. These locations are nice places to socialize with classmates, meet other students, and maybe grab a drink!

There are some things I didn’t mention, like Arthouse for the art-lovers, Six Flags for those who enjoy theme parks, and popular bars in DC like Marvin and Brixton for those who want to experience the night-life. Everyone’s experience will be different and have things about it that make it special, but those are just a few that come to mind when I think about what made my time here at the University of Maryland enjoyable.