Summer ’18 Salesforce Sales Cloud Release Highlights

It’s that time of year, again!

I hope you didn’t forget that Salesforce has 3 releases per year: Winter, Spring, & Summer! They don’t do any releases in the Fall because of DreamForce <– the largest tech conference in the country –> but for the rest of us average old Salesforce users, we can breathe again until Winter. 

I thought I was excited about Spring ’18 release (did you read my post on that one?!) but Summer ’18 might be even better! There is a lot to unpack on this one, and I’ve taken the liberty of combing through 500+ pages of release notes to bring you the most exciting and relevant updates that impact you. NOTE: This year we need to pay attention to release notes that impact Sales Cloud (your main Salesforce environment), Marketing Cloud, and Salesforce Communities Cloud since we now own versions of all 3 cloud products! I’ll be doing a separate post on Marketing Cloud updates so that you don’t fall asleep on me here.

First things first, do you want to check out the release notes yourself? You can find them here.

Follow along as we explore some of the bigger changes coming to our Salesforce org (all of them are really awesome updates!) 

LIGHTNING REPORTS

This one stings a little because I had just trained the Online MBA team on report builder last week and SURPRISE! …. It now looks totally different. I’ll be posting new reports training that I encourage ALL report users, old and new, to participate in to get a tour of the new lightning report builder user interface. 

1. We can now have sub-folders! Previously, we could only have one-level of folder organization, meaning that the Executive MBA team would have to have a separate folder for each cohort to separate all of their reports. Now, we can have one folder for the EMBA team with subfolders for each cohort. This will really help make report storage/organization must easier to navigate using breadcrumbs –> see screenshot.  NOTE: Users still cannot make folders, only Admins can create folders. Watch Demo.

2. Report builder upgraded from the Classic UI to Lightning (finally!) While this update has been a long time coming, it will change the user experience for those building reports. The new interface for report builder might look different, but the basic report building principles are the same.  Here is a screenshot of the classic report builder v. the lightning report builder: 

Classic Report Builder (which was used in Lightning) 

New Lightning Report Builder (only available in Lightning UI)

Don’t worry! You can still build reports the old-fashioned way.

The good news is until you get comfortable using the new Lightning report builder, Salesforce will still give you the option when you start building your report to use the Classic version since that’s all you know until now. When you go to create a new report, you’ll notice a new button:

Until you’re ready to make the switch, you should select “New Report (Salesforce Classic)” and you won’t notice the difference!

LIGHTNING DASHBOARDS

3. You can color-code your dashboard by choosing a theme that fits your mood & taste! Check this donut chart in 3 different color themes. 

4. You can now easily subscribe others to receive your dashboard in their inbox at a specified recurring time! Note that if you have a filter set on your dashboard, that won’t come through in an email format. 

LIST VIEWS

Big changes are coming to List Views, and I am really excited about this because I LOVE working in list views to see & edit my data, just like an excel spreadsheet! 

5.  You can filter List Views by a campaign in Lightning & edit existing List Views. This might not sound exciting on the surface, but teams like the OCS Business Development team love their list views that were built in Classic UI, meaning we couldn’t edit or change them when they switched over to Lightning. Everything had to be “rebuilt.” In addition, you can now build List views in Lightning by campaigns –> something you used to only be able to do in Classic. Hooray, list view lovers! Watch the full demo here (note: not all features apply to us).

6. List Views have more mass action enhancements. It’s nice to be able to edit records on a mass scale — but maybe you want to update an open text field on a frequent basis so a short text template would be really convenient for you –>  Watch the full demo here

USER INTERFACE PERSONALIZATION

7. You can personalize your navigation bar: I know many users have requested the ability to edit which tabs appear in your navigation toolbar. The Spring ’18 release did allow you to customize your tabs, but the Summer ’18 release makes it much easier to customize what you see, and what order you see it! Check out the full demo here.

8. We can customize the look & feel of our Salesforce environment: We can now further customize the branding of our Salesforce environment, but we’ll leave that up to the Admins to figure out!

9. Mobile Push notifications can include more details than before! Are you a Salesforce mobile app user? If so, you may have noticed when you receive a notification you get just a tiny bit of info and have to jump into the app to get more. Now, we can add more details to that notification that pops up on your mobile screen! 

TASKS

10. Manage & view your tasks better: Are you a fan of using the tasks tab to manage your to-do list? Previously, tasks just displayed in a boring unfilterable list for you to see. Now, you can create custom list views on the tasks object & sort via Kanban view. See a screenshot below of my Kanban view of my tasks (I had to invent some tasks since I personally don’t use it that much…) 

SENDING EMAILS

11. Send a list of campaign members an email at the click of a button…. but do note that this is sending via Salesforce, and over time we hope you’ll use Marketing Cloud. In the meantime, this looks like a pretty cool feature for our users who do send mass emails via Salesforce. 

WOW, check out my screenshots below where I went to a campaign > Send List Email > Typed up some content & can hit the send button. Very easy to do and can’t wait to test it out! 

Looks like you can also do this from a customized List View, too! Wow, this is a big exciting update.

IMPORTANT TIP: Do not send emails via Internet Explorer –> Chrome & Firefox are supported browsers.

Well, you have made it this far, hopefully with as much excitement as I have for some of these new updates! Go play around to see what other small tweaks might have been made to your user interface –> drag and drop your navigation bar tabs to the order in which you prefer them, or go play around with the color themes of your dashboards! 

There is likely more juicy tips I missed in my first pass of the release notes, so I’ll update this post as I discover more cool things. 

Until then, have fun!

-Your Salesforce Admin