Sep 152014

Hi there!

I’m a first year full time MBA candidate at the Smith School of Business, and at the outset, I’d like to thank you for agreeing to read this. We just got done with two weeks of orientation, and though I don’t exactly know who you are yet, I feel like I’ve known you for a while. In fact, between career coaches, networking sessions, cover letters, and recruitment panels, we have discussed you in such fascinating detail, you might actually find it very flattering (or creepy, depending on how sensitive you are to attention).

For instance, I do know, for a fact, that you like listening to stories. You have probably heard stories of all shapes and sizes, natures and motivations. But sometimes, and I’m being a bit speculative here, I think you might be at a particular disadvantage, because the anecdotes that come your way might be perfectly practiced SAR aligned gems, which is not to say that they aren’t important or significant. But as most of my classmates will agree, they don’t always truly reflect us in our entirety.

So as we start our journey here, at business school, one part excitement and two parts awe, I’d like to invite you for the ride. What are the benefits of accepting this invitation? An upfront and center look at how MBA’s navigate their lives, a glimpse into the stories that really shape us, and a preview of all the little things we do to make you happy (for that warm fuzzy feeling you know you like).

Dr K, our MD of the Office of Career Services, told us that if we ask you for advice, you will give us a job. In the true spirit of building a real and honest connection, I just wanted to say, we are on to you.

And with that, dear employer, I sign off. My next letter will talk about a real problem some of us face in the US – The only vegetarian food here is alcohol.

Until next time.

One Response to “A word, if you will, please.”

1. It’s very interesting to see how MBA students look at the world of business. What is apparent to me having been in the business world for a number of years is that be prepared to make many more mistakes on your journey and be excited to make those mistakes because they will allow you to learn quickly what works and what doesn’t. What does your future employer want? They want to innovate. What the business world has taught us in the last 20 years through companies such as Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, Uber, SalesForce.com, VMware, Zappos, Alibaba, Ebay, Amazon, Apple, Samsung and many others is that innovation is one of the keys to success in the future. Technology is moving very rapidly now and if you can’t innovate in the future you won’t survive in business.

Through automation, robotics, drones, software, the internet and more we will find that your future employer has a keen interest in efficiency, control, cost cutting and rapid expansion. For you to be gainfully employed you either have to understand how to program, control, operate the tools of the future or you be in an area of business that can NOT be taken over by machinery. Procedures that many doctors do now will be able to be taken care of by a machine in the near future. Some jobs that an attorney would normally do are now being outsourced and automated on websites. But one of the most valuable things is the ability to innovate and create new fresh ideas that work.

No machine can innovate (not yet at least). Also people skills are critically important, understanding how to speak to people, how to relate to them, how to understand and work with a variety of cultures will be important to your future employer because languages, cultures, etc everything will merge into one marketplace where you will have instant translation across every language so it does not matter anymore. You can buy something from a person in India, Thailand, Germany, Russia, etc without any barrier not even language because the transaction is instantly translated.

Knowing Spanish and possibly Mandarin in my opinon will be to your advantage. Also don’t think that just because you have graduated that the learning will stop, you have to be committed to a life long study of knowledge and be prepared that “some” employers won’t take your MBA as seriously as you do because what many businesses are looking for are real results oriented people not people who are qualified on paper but people who will have gotten results or who can get results for them quickly. The economic marketplace will be too competitive for your future employer to not want you to hit the ground running immediately.

Having an MBA is a great achievement but match it with a track record of getting results done in your area of study and I don’t believe any employer can turn you down when you start looking for a job!