Resolved: Firefox issue with some services at ARES and ORA
The Division of IT has posted a Global Incident alert regarding a Firefox issue with some services at ARES
Most recent update:
Division of IT has reported this issue has been resolved and this work-around is no longer necessary. If you have any questions, please contact SmithIT at 301-405-2269 or email@example.com.
The latest version of Firefox has issues with logging into some UMD administrative systems. Technicians are working on a solution. As a workaround, use another browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, or Safari, especially for ORA (ora.umd.edu). If users are unable to use another browser, configure Firefox to use an older TLS method:
The workaround for Firefox has been updated to the following:
1. Within the Firefox browser, enter about:config into the place where you would enter a url.
2. Firefox will display a warning page. Click on the button “I’ll be careful, I promise!”.
3. On the next page, enter security.tls into the “Search” text box.
4. Double click on the entry “security.tls.insecure_fallback_hosts” and a new dialog window appears.
5. Enter the value was-3.umd.edu,was-4.umd.edu and then click the OK button.
6. Double click on the entry “security.tls.version.min” and a new dialog window appears.
7. Change the value from 0 to 1 and then click the OK button.
8. Exit out of the Firefox browser (close all Firefox browser windows).
9. Restart Firefox.
10. Everything should work now.
However for ORA (ora.umd.edu) customers are advised to use Chrome or IE until the issue has been resolved.