Swag from Philadelphia’s National Black / Prospanica career fair

Some first-year MBA students from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business walked away from the  Sept. 28-29 National Black / Prospanica career fair in Philadelphia with internship offers from companies like Johnson & Johnson and ExxonMobil. Even better, all of us managed to get our hands on all sorts of free gizmos, gadgets and other swag. The quality and quantity of swag obtained became the true measure of success at the career fair, at least during classmate conversations following the fair’s conclusion.

Business school has taught me the importance of scavenging for free food, and getting free stuff is nearly as crucial. I admit to to barely noticing the swag at the career fair. Only the oddest and most bizarre item caught my eye earned itself a spot in my crowded backpack. (This will not come as a surprise my classmates.) The item can only be described as a tooth-shaped container filled with opaque, gelatinous beads placed inside a plastic bag. Classmates were equally perplexed. Some thought it was a bean bag.

Regardless, other classmates managed to obtain some pretty cool stuff.

Fatia Kasumu scored with some toiletries from Colgate, as well as Starburst for good measure. 

Vivek Mehrotra clearly brought his A-hands to the conference and went candy heavy, while also preparing for winter.

Zimberlyn Bolton managed to get her hands around the most coveted prize of all: a virtual reality headset from Accenture.

Helen Zhang’s loot was perhaps the most impressive. 

As it turns out, my swag is intended to treat minor bruises, insect bites or sunburn. Hopefully I don’t need it. (Too bad I’ve already earned a reputation for being clumsy.)

Varun Saxena

Varun Saxena is a first-year, full-time MBA student at the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of business. He covered healthcare as a journalist for publications such as FierceMedTech, Medical Device Daily and S&P Global News. He is aiming to work in the healthcare industry upon graduation. In his spare time, Varun enjoys playing intramural sports and reading. He has a Bachelor's in economics from George Washington University and a Master's in Journalism from the University of Maryland's Philip Merrill College of Journalism.